zip by(redirected from zipping by)
1. To pass physically by (someone or something) with great speed. He zipped by before I could ask him about our paychecks. The police cars zipped by our house in pursuit of the criminals.
2. Of time, to pass very easily or pleasantly, as if going fast. Wow, the afternoon completely zipped by! Being stuck inside with the kids when it's raining can be a drag, but try coming up with inventive new games to play with them and the day will zip by.
3. To visit someone or some place for a brief period of time or for a particular purpose. Mary said she'd zip by for a quick visit. I just want to zip by the bank on the way home to deposit this check.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. To pass quickly, as of a moving object or an interval of time: The summer zipped by so fast that we didn't get the chance to do half of the things we planned to.
2. To pass someone or something quickly: The cars zipped by the people on the side of the road.
3. To pay a brief visit: My friends zipped by for a quick lunch.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.