zero out(redirected from zeroing it out)
1. To reset some device that counts or measures something back to zero. A noun or pronoun can be used between "zero" and "out." Make sure you zero out the scales before you weigh the next ingredient. I forgot to zero out the odometer between trips, so I have no idea how far I actually drove that time.
2. To reduce or eliminate something down to zero. A noun or pronoun can be used between "zero" and "out." Buying my fiancée's engagement ring zeroed out my savings account, but it was worth it seeing her face when I proposed. They haven't laid us off yet, but the fact that they zeroed our budget out means it could happen any day now.
1. To reset something, such as a counter or clock, to zero: The timekeeper forgot to zero out the stopwatch in between sprints. I zeroed the odometer out and measured the length of the road.
2. To reduce some quantity to zero: This final payment will zero out your balance on the loan. I called the bank and zeroed out my account.
3. To cut off the funding for something, such as a government program: The new administration is planning to zero out subsidies and benefits for illegal aliens. Our social assistance program had funding until the government zeroed it out of the budget.