zero out(redirected from zeroed it out)
1. To reset some device that counts or measures something back to zero. A noun or pronoun can be used between "zero" and "out." Make sure you zero out the scales before you weigh the next ingredient. I forgot to zero out the odometer between trips, so I have no idea how far I actually drove that time.
2. To reduce or eliminate something down to zero. A noun or pronoun can be used between "zero" and "out." Buying my fiancée's engagement ring zeroed out my savings account, but it was worth it seeing her face when I proposed. They haven't laid us off yet, but the fact that they zeroed our budget out means it could happen any day now.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. To reset something, such as a counter or clock, to zero: The timekeeper forgot to zero out the stopwatch in between sprints. I zeroed the odometer out and measured the length of the road.
2. To reduce some quantity to zero: This final payment will zero out your balance on the loan. I called the bank and zeroed out my account.
3. To cut off the funding for something, such as a government program: The new administration is planning to zero out subsidies and benefits for illegal aliens. Our social assistance program had funding until the government zeroed it out of the budget.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.