(one) could be forgiven for (doing something)(redirected from you could be forgiven for)
(one) could be forgiven for (doing something)
It is completely understandable that one would do, think, or believe something, even if it is incorrect. Anyone visiting this country could be forgiven for thinking that they've somehow gone backwards in time. You could be forgiven for wondering how a multinational company has failed to pay its taxes for the last five years.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
he, she, etc. could/might be forgiven for doing somethingused to say that it is easy to understand why somebody does or thinks something, although they are wrong: Looking at the crowds out shopping, you could be forgiven for thinking that everyone has plenty of money to spend.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- (one) might be forgiven for (doing something)
- (one) will be forgiven for (doing something)
- (one) would be forgiven for (doing something)
- he, she, etc. could/might be forgiven for doing something
- I don't blame (someone)
- I don't blame you/her, etc.
- begging your pardon, but (something)
- put the lie to