you, etc. can't have it both ways
can't have it both ways
Cannot have two contradictory things at once. I know you love ice cream, but you can't eat it every day and lose weight—you just can't have it both ways.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
you, etc. can’t have it ˈboth waysyou must choose between two things even though you would like both of them: You want an interesting job that pays well, and yet one where you don’t have many responsibilities. Well, you can’t have it both ways.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- can't have it both ways
- you can run, but you can't hide
- can't do anything with
- can't do anything with (someone or something)
- you can't run with the hare and hunt with the hounds
- if you can't beat 'em
- have (one's) bread buttered on both sides
- have your bread buttered on both sides
- yellow dog
- get (someone or something) out of (one's) mind