yap(redirected from yapping)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to yapping: reinstate
shut your yap
An imperative to be quiet or cease talking immediately. Can be rude, aggressive, or jocular depending on the context. Shut your yap, Bobby—no one asked for the opinion of a dork like you! A: "So, where do you think we can sell these stolen goods?" B: "Shut your yap! Don't you have enough sense not to talk about that in public?" A: "Wow, that Cadillac has seen better days. How much did you pay for that little gem?" B: "Ah, shut your yap, Dave. I think it looks just fine."
yap, yap, yapping all day
Talking nonstop, especially about insignificant things. Connie's nice enough, but once she starts yap, yap, yapping all day, I feel a headache coming on.
yap, yap, yapping all day long
Talking nonstop, especially about insignificant things. Connie's nice enough, but once she starts yap, yap, yapping all day long, I feel a headache coming on.
yap at (one)
1. Of a dog, especially a small one, to bark intensely, aggressively, and ineffectually at one. Her tiny little Bichon Frise always yaps at me when I walk in the door, but runs away to the bedroom whenever I go near it.
2. To scold, criticize, or respond to one in a curt, aggressive manner. She yapped at me when I said I was going out to meet friends instead of helping her get the kids to bed. I know you don't approve of Todd's plan, but that doesn't give you the right to yap at him in front of everyone like that.
3. To talk to one about trite or meaningless things in an exhausting, tedious, and lengthy manner, especially without letting them respond or engage meaningfully. I got stuck sitting next to Randy at the company dinner, who just yapped at me all night about his fantasy football team. If you're just yapping at your clients about a bunch of numbers and graphs, you probably aren't getting them very interested in what you have to say.
yap about someone or something
to talk casually about someone or something; to gossip or complain about someone or something. Stop yapping about Molly. Claire is always yapping about her salary.
yap at someone
1. . Lit. [for a small dog] to bark at someone or something. The dog yapped at the cat in great frustration. I am tired of that dog yapping at me all the time!
2. Fig. [for someone] to scold or bark at someone shrilly. Don't yap at me. I didn't do it. Bob yapped at Bill for something he didn't do.
1. To bark sharply or shrilly at someone or something: The sheepdog yapped at the stray sheep.
2. To make a sharp, often hostile or scolding remark to someone: The batter yapped at the pitcher after he was hit by a pitch.
1. n. the mouth. Shut your yap!
2. in. to chatter; to gossip. Did you just come here to yap?
3. n. nonsense; gibberish. That windbag can produce an enormous amount of yap.
4. in. to empty one’s stomach; to vomit. Who yapped in the bushes?
5. n. a naive person; a dupe. See if you can get that yap to bring over a left-handed monkey wrench.