write down(redirected from wrote something down)
1. To record or note something on paper. A noun or pronoun can be used between "write" and "down." I managed to write down the license plate number of the car before it sped away from the accident. Make sure you write the directions down so you don't forget!
2. To list the value or price of something as being lower than it was before, especially for tax purposes. We have a number of financial assets we'll be able to write down at the end of the years.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
write something down
to make a note of something; to record something in writing. Please write this down. Please write down what I tell you.
1. Set down in writing, record, as in Please write down your new address and phone number. [Late 1500s]
2. Reduce in rank, value, or price, as in They've written down their assets. [Late 1800s]
3. Write in a simple or condescending style, as in These science texts are written down for high-school students. [Second half of 1800s]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. To set something down in writing: I wrote down all my thoughts in a journal. If you remember the address, write it down before you forget it again!
2. To reduce something in rank, value, or price: The store is writing down all obsolete inventory. When the tickets didn't sell, we wrote them down to half price.
3. To disparage something in writing. Used chiefly in the passive: The movie was written down in all the newspapers.
4. To write in a conspicuously simple or condescending style: The author wrote down to the unsophisticated audience.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.