write for (someone or something)(redirected from wrote for me)
write for (someone or something)
1. To produce written work for a publication or type thereof. I used to write for The New York Times before branching off as a novelist. She got a great gig writing for several different travel blogs.
2. To produce written work that is aimed at a particular readership or demographic. Just because you write for kids doesn't mean you can't write about complex topics. He primarily writes for hardcore science fiction fans, so it can be a little alienating if you're not into that sort of thing.
3. To send a piece of written correspondence to someone in order to request something. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "write" and "for." She wrote the governor himself for special permission to hold the event in the city. I'll write the consulate for an escort to meet us at the airport.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
write someone for something
to send a written request to someone for something. Henry wrote Harry for a firm quote, but Harry never responded. Did you write me for permission?
write for something
1. . to write and request something. I wrote for clarification but received none. Julie wrote for another copy of the instruction book.
2. . to produce writing for a particular kind of publication. I write for science magazines. Sam writes for the local newspaper.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.