Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
Related to wring out: slack off
1. To squeeze or twist wet material in an attempt to dry it or remove excess liquid. A noun or pronoun can be used between "wring" and "out." The washing machine isn't draining properly, so be sure to wring everything out before you hang it up. I'll have to wring out my hair after that rain storm!
2. To remove excess liquid from wet material in an attempt by twisting or squeezing it. A noun or pronoun can be used between "wring" and "out." Be sure to wring the excess water out of that blanket before you hang it on the clothesline. She wrung the oil out of the cloth into a bucket before trying to wipe some more up off the floor.
3. To apply pressure or force to convince or compel someone to give one what one wants. A noun or pronoun is used between "wring" and "out." The guy's easily intimidated, so just threaten him for a while and you'll be able to wring some answers out of him. They've been using blackmail to wring money out of me for years.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
wring something out
to squeeze or twist something dry of liquid. He wrung the rag out and wiped up more of the spilled milk. Liz wrung out the rag and wiped up more of the spilled milk.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To twist, squeeze, or compress something, especially so as to extract liquid: I wrung out the wet towel. Wring the clothes out before you hang them on the line.
2. To extract some liquid by twisting or compressing something: Wring out the suds from the dishcloth when you're done washing the dishes. She twisted her hair to wring the rain out of it.
3. To obtain or extract some information by applying force or pressure to someone; extort something from someone: We can wring out the story from him if we question him long enough. The prosecutor wrung the truth out of the reluctant witness.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.