wrench off(redirected from wrench it off of)
To take someone or something away from someone or something by pulling or prying in a violent, wrenching manner. A noun or pronoun can be used between "wrench" and "off." He walked over to the headstone and wrenched off the medallion that had been embedded in the marble. The man has been hailed as a hero for wrenching the gun off of the shooter before anyone was harmed. The officers wrenched my son off me before I had the chance to run.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
wrench something off (of) someone or somethingand wrench something off
to yank or twist something off someone or something. (Of is usually retained before pronouns.) He wrenched the shoes off the sleeping man and ran away. He wrenched off the catsup bottle cap.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
- bear off from (someone or something)
- be/have done with somebody/something
- be in line with (someone or something)
- better of
- (someone or something) promises well
- begin with
- begin with (someone or something)
- at the expense of somebody/something
- be enamored with (someone or something)
- beware of (someone or something)