work through(redirected from work someone through)
1. To remain engaged continuously in some task in order to complete it, especially that which is very tedious or time-consuming. I've been working through a new biography on Thomas Jefferson recently.
2. To put in the required effort to understand or resolve something. Just give me a minute to work through the problem. I know he's got a lot of personal issues that he's working through with a therapist.
3. To strive to move something through some process or situation, especially one that is particularly laborious or difficult. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "work" and "through." Against all odds, the senator was able to work the legislation successfully through congress. I've been trying to work this story through our editorial team, but they're incredibly picky about what they publish.
4. To expend time and energy forcing something through some kind of material, especially that which is particularly tough or impermeable. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "work" and "through." It took me nearly 10 minutes to work the needle through the leather. The butcher struggled to work the cleaver through the hind leg of the animal.
work something through(something)
1. to guide or push something through a physical barrier. I could hardly work the needle through the tightly woven cloth. I worked the needle through.
2. . to guide or maneuver a law, proposal, motion, through a governing body. The lobbyist was unable to work the law through the legislature. The usual party hacks worked the law through.
1. To succeed in resolving something through effort: I worked through the problems I was having with my teacher, and now I'm doing better in class.
2. To move something or someone slowly and laboriously through something: The bodyguards worked the politician through the crowd.
3. To proceed or progress slowly and laboriously through something: The explorers worked through the underbrush. The fender of the car was scraping against the tire and slowly worked through the rubber.