work (someone or something) up into (something)(redirected from work me up into)
work (someone or something) up into (something)
1. To develop, grow, or expand something into something larger or more complicated. We're working the author's short story up into a feature-length film. My grandfather spent his whole life working this small business up into the dominant global force that it is today.
2. To cause someone, some group, or oneself to enter an intense, typically negative mental or emotional state. I started working myself up into a panic thinking about all the things that could go wrong during the interview. The politician worked the mob up into a frenzy during his rally. His words began working her up into a rage.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
work oneself up into something
1. . Lit. to struggle to raise oneself upward into something or some place. I worked myself up into the top of the tree. I worked myself up into the rafters of the barn and couldn't get down.
2. . Fig. to bring oneself into an extreme emotional state. I worked myself up into a state of hysteria. Don't work yourself up into hysteria.
work something up into something
to develop something into something. I will work this story up into a screenplay in a few months. I can work up this idea into a good novel.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
- (something) is one thing, (something else) is (quite) another
- a/the feel of (something)
- (I) wouldn't (do something) if I were you
- a straw will show which way the wind blows
- a crack at (someone or something)
- all right
- (you) wanna make something of it?
- all for the best
- a thing of the past
- a slew of (something)