Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
be with it
1. slang To be alert and responsive. I'm sorry, I'm just not with it until I've had my coffee in the morning. You've got to be with it, people! We have a deadline here!
2. slang To be hip, fashionable, or in line with current trends. Her latest fashion line just isn't with it—it's not what today's teens want to wear.
1. slang Alert and responsive. I'm sorry, I'm just not with it before I've had my coffee. Get with it, people! We have a deadline here!
2. slang Current, fashionable, or in line with current trends. Her latest fashion line just isn't with it—it's not what today's teens want to wear.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. Inf. alert and knowledgeable. Jane isn't making any sense. She's not really with it tonight. Jean's mother is not really with it anymore. She's going senile. Peter's not with it yet. He's only just come round from the anesthetic.
2. Inf. up-to-date. My parents are so old-fashioned. I'm sure they were never with it. Why do you wear those baggy old clothes? Why aren't you with it?
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1 (old-fashioned) (of somebody/something) fashionable and up to date: Her clothes are very with it, aren’t they? ♢ He was wearing very with-it sunglasses.
2 thinking quickly and clearly: I’m a bit tired this morning. I’m not really with it.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
mod. up-to-date; contemporary. Come on, chum. Get with it.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. Interested in and sensitive to the latest styles and trends; up-to-date.
2. Streetwise and knowing; savvy.
3. Mentally competent.
1. Aware of or knowledgeable about the latest trends or developments.
2. Mentally responsive and perceptive: I'm just not with it today.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.