wipe away(redirected from wipes it away)
1. To clean or dry something away by rubbing or mopping. A noun or pronoun can be used between "wipe" and "away." He quickly wiped the tears away before entering the room. Make sure you wipe away the mud from the mirrors and windows before you start driving.
2. To eradicate, invalidate, or reset something back to nothing. A noun or pronoun can be used between "wipe" and "away." Two back-to-back goals have wiped away the home team's lead in a matter of minutes. The stock market crash wiped away everything we had earned that year.
3. To completely eliminate, eradicate, or destroy something. A noun or pronoun can be used between "wipe" and "away." The extreme weather conditions this winter have wiped away entire towns. Through our vaccination efforts, we've been able to wipe polio away across the entire continent.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
wipe something away
to clean or mop something away. Wipe all this mud away and scrub the floor clean. Jake wiped away the mud.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To remove or eliminate something by wiping: I wiped away the child's tears. Dust had settled on the table, so I wiped it away.
2. To destroy or eliminate something as if by wiping: A strong hurricane wiped away the entire village. Mudslides wiped our home away.
3. To reduce something to zero; invalidate something: Business was so bad this year that it wiped away all our savings. I had a big lead in the bicycle race, but a sudden burst of speed by my opponent wiped it away.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.