whoop(redirected from whooping)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to whooping: whooping cough vaccine
no big whoop
(Something) not inconvenient or difficult at all; not at all troublesome. John: "Thanks so much for watching the kids for me last night. There was an emergency in work." Dave: "No big whoop, man. I'm happy to help out." Seriously, it's no big whoop if you want me to drive you to the airport tomorrow.
open (up) a can of whoop ass (on someone)
To commit, engage in, or threaten physical violence (against someone). Sometimes said in a jocular or pseudo-serious manner. If that punk doesn't shut up soon, I'm gonna have to go over there and open up a can of whoop ass! My old man was the toughest guy in town when he was alive. He could open a can of whoop ass on anyone!
slang Physical violence (against someone). Usually used in a jocular or pseudo-serious threat. If that punk doesn't shut up soon, I'm gonna have to go over there and give him some whoop-ass! Don't make me open a can of whoop ass on y'all.
no big deal
Not inconvenient or difficult at all; not at all troublesome. A: "Thanks so much for watching the kids for me last night, there was an emergency at work." B: "No big deal, man. I'm happy to help out." It's no big deal if you want me to drive you to the airport tomorrow.
whoop it up
1. To celebrate or cavort in a noisy way. The team really whooped it up in the locker room after their big win. People at my neighbors' party were whooping it up till 3 AM last night, so I didn't get much sleep.
2. To generate enthusiasm or excitement among a group of people, typically by displaying such enthusiasm and excitement. If you're a speaker or entertainer, you know the value of having someone who can whoop it up and warm up the crowd.
no big dealand no biggie
Inf. [of something] not difficult or troublesome. Don't worry. It's no big deal to wash the car. No problem. It's no biggie.
whoop it up
to celebrate, especially with cheers and whoops. It was a very noisy party. Everyone was whooping it up well past midnight. The campaign workers whooped it up for their candidate. I can't get out there and whoop it up for something I don't believe in.
whoop it up
1. Also, make whoopee. Celebrate noisily, as in After exams they decided to whoop it up at their apartment, or Down in the basement the residents were making whoopee. The variant may be dying out. [Slang; late 1800s]
2. Arouse enthusiasm, especially politically, as in The volunteers' job is to whoop it up for the candidate. [Slang; late 1800s]
whoop it up1 enjoy yourself or celebrate in a noisy way, usually in a group. 2 create or show excitement or enthusiasm. US informal
no big ˈdeal(spoken) used to say that something is not important or not a problem: If I don’t win it’s no big deal.
ˌwhoop it ˈup(informal)
1 enjoy yourself very much with a noisy group of people: Of course I’m in a bad mood! I’ve been stuck here working while you’ve been whooping it up in the bar with your friends!
2 (American English) make people excited or enthusiastic about something: The emcee came on stage and really whooped it up for the next act.
no big dealand no biggie and no big whoop
n. (something) not difficult or troublesome. (see also NBT.) Don’t worry. It’s no big deal. No biggie; no prob.
no big whoopverb
See no big deal
whoop it upSlang
1. To have a jolly, noisy celebration.
2. To express or arouse enthusiasm; cheer: conventioneers whooping it up for their candidate.