whiz(redirected from whizzes)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal.
Related to whizzes: whizzed through
1. modifier (hyphenated and used before a noun) Especially enthusiastic or impressed; youthfully or naïvely optimistic or exuberant. The film is sure to provoke some gee-whiz reactions from even the most cynical of spectators. A lot of people come into politics with some gee-whiz notions of changing the world.
2. modifier (hyphenated and used before a noun) Showily or gaudily impressive; amazing or astounding. The film boasts a lot of gee-whiz effects but doesn't offer much else in the way of plot or character development.
3. interjection An exclamation of any strong emotion, such as surprise, dismay, enthusiasm, exasperation, etc. Aw, gee whiz, Mom! Can't I stay out and play for one more hour? Gee whiz guys, wasn't that show great?
A person, usually a child or young adult, who is exceptionally skilled or intelligent. He was developing software by the time he was 10 years old—he's a total computer whiz kid. Those whiz kids at the spelling bee are always so impressive to watch. Sarah's the new whiz kid in accounting. She'll help you tackle the budget in no time.
take a whiz
slang To urinate. Could you pull over? I need to take a whiz. I heard he was arrested for taking a whiz on the side of a police station.
whiz past someone or something
to move or travel past someone or something at a high speed. The train whizzed past one little town after another. I whizzed past Chuck because I did not recognize him.
whiz (right) through something
1. . to speed through a place. One car after another whizzed right through the little town. We whizzed through the kitchen, stopping just long enough for a glass of iced tea.
2. . to work one's way through something quickly. She whizzed right through the test with no trouble. Jane whizzed through her interview and got the job.
An expression of surprise, dismay, or enthusiasm. For example, Gee whiz, Dad, I thought you'd let me borrow the car, or Gee whiz, they finally won the Series! This term is thought to be a euphemism for "Jesus Christ." [Slang; 1870s]
whiz byor whizz by
1. To pass quickly, as of a moving object or an interval of time: I looked out the window of the train and watched the faces whiz by.
2. To pass someone or something quickly: The motorcycle whizzed by us on the freeway.
whiz throughor whizz through
1. To accomplish or proceed with something swiftly and energetically: My smart friend whizzed through the math homework.
2. To move rapidly through something: The football whizzed through the receiver's hands.
n. an extraordinary person; someone who can do the impossible. (Usually objectionable.) Sam is a real piss-cutter when it comes to running. I ain’t no piss-whiz, just your average guy.
1. n. a talented or skilled person. She’s a real whiz with stats.
2. in. to urinate. (Usually objectionable.) I gotta stop here and whiz.
n. a young whiz. The boss’s new whiz kid doesn’t seem to be doing the job very well.
take a whizVulgar Slang