whip around(redirected from whips me around)
1. To turn or move in the opposite direction very quickly, suddenly, or forcefully. The gate whipped around and slammed into her because of the gust of wind. I whipped around when I heard someone say my name, but there was no one there.
2. To cause someone or something to turn or move in the opposite direction very quickly, suddenly, or forcefully. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "whip" and "around." The force of the motor whipped the cable around so fast that it slashed my arm open. She whipped the child around and started performing the Heimlich maneuver on him.
3. To move around something with great speed or haste. I was just about to step off the curb when some maniac whipped around the corner in an SUV. The runners whipped around the track at an incredible pace.
4. To move from place to place very quickly or hastily, especially in a vehicle. As soon as I got my first car, I spent most evenings whipping around town with my friends. Be careful out there tonight. There are going to be a lot of drunken idiots whipping around on the roads.
whip someone or something around
to cause someone or something to reverse direction quickly. The roller coaster whipped around the riders, right and left, until they were almost sick. The sharp turn whipped me around, but I wasn't hurt.
1. to reverse suddenly. (As with the tip of a whip.) The rope suddenly whipped around and struck me in the face. A branch whipped around and tore my shirt. 2. to turn around very quickly and suddenly. John whipped around when he heard the noise. Claire whipped around to face her opponent.