whip off(redirected from whipped something off)
1. To remove something (from someone, something, or oneself) in a very rushed or disorderly fashion. A noun or pronoun can be used between "whip" and "off." We all whipped off our shirts and shorts and dove into the sparkling lake. She whipped the tablecloth off the table so fast that all the champagne glasses balanced in a pyramid remained standing.
2. To produce or create something very rapidly or hastily. A noun or pronoun can be used between "whip" and "off." I whipped a message off to my mother about next weekend, but she hasn't gotten back to me yet. He's been whipping off new books so quickly that, unless you're a die-hard fan of the series, it can be hard to keep up.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
whip something off
1. Inf. to do or create something quickly. If you need another receipt, I can whip one off in a jiffy. She whipped off another set of earrings for the tourist.
2. Inf. to remove something, such as an item of clothing, quickly. He whipped the coat off and dived into the water. I whipped off my cap.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To snatch, pull, or remove something in a sudden manner: The worker whipped off his cap. The storm whipped the shingles off.
2. To snatch, pull, or remove something from something in a sudden manner: The storm whipped the roof off the house.
3. To make or produce something quickly: The guitarist whipped off a chord. I whipped the letter to the editor off in 10 minutes.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
See beat off
whip something off
tv. to finish something quickly, especially food or drink. Did you just whip that whole pizza off?
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.