be a toss-up(redirected from were a toss up)
be a toss-up
To be a situation in which the outcome cannot be predicted or a decision between two things is very close. I don't know which team will win. Both have done so well this season that it's a toss-up. Should I take the entry level position, or go back to school? It's really a toss-up in my mind.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
be a toss-up
COMMON People say that something is a toss-up when they think that two things are equally likely to happen or be chosen. She might go to Scapa. Or Rosyth. It's a toss-up really. They said it's a toss-up whether oil prices will go up or down over the days ahead. Note: When you toss a coin, there is an equal chance that the coin will land heads or tails.
Collins COBUILD Idioms Dictionary, 3rd ed. © HarperCollins Publishers 2012
be a ˈtoss-up (between A and B)(informal, especially British English) be a situation in which either of two choices, results, etc. is equally possible: ‘Have you decided on the colour yet?’ ‘It’s a toss-up between the blue and the green.’
This expression refers to tossing a coin in order to make a decision about something.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- be careful what you wish for(, it might (just) come true)
- it ain't over till/until it's over
- it's not over till it's over
- reckon upon (someone or something)
- it's not over till/until the fat lady sings
- it ain't over till/until the fat lady sings
- it ain't/it's not over till the fat lady sings
- it isn't over till the fat lady sings
- it isn't over till/until the fat lady sings
- it isn't over until the fat lady sings