go in(redirected from went in)
1. To enter some place or thing. Let's go in before the ceremony starts. The nail went in with a few taps of the hammer.
2. To use something as a means of entering. I had to go in through the side door and ended up backstage.
3. To visit a particular place or thing. Yeah, I wound up canceling my appointment—my cold was so bad that I couldn't go in.
4. To be kept in a certain place, thing, or area. The towels go in the linen closet.
5. To be an ingredient in or a component of something. I wonder what goes in this cake because she said it's healthy, but it's totally delicious!
6. To disappear from view. You should still reapply your sunscreen, even if the sun's gone in.
7. To be understood or comprehended. I told him I'd come over on Saturday, but I guess it didn't go in because I'm here and he's not.
1. Enter, especially into a building. For example, It's cold out here, so can we go in? [Tenth century a.d.]
2. Be obscured, as in After the sun went in, it got quite chilly. [Late 1800s]
3. go in with. Join others in some venture. For example, He went in with the others to buy her a present. [Late 1800s] Also see the subsequent idioms beginning with go in.
1. To enter something: I went in the garage to find a rake. I went in, and there was Grandma, sitting on the sofa. It's too cold on the porch—let's go in. I walked to the pond and went in for a swim.
2. To enter through something: If the front door is locked, go in the back door.
3. To go to a central or particular location: I called the office and told them I wouldn't be going in today. The car has to go in for service. I went in for surgery.
4. To belong to or be easily accommodated by some place: These forks go in the bottom drawer. I tried this key on the lock, but it wouldn't go in.
5. To be an added ingredient of something: What kinds of spices go in this sauce?
6. To be learned or understood: I explained the procedure to the new mechanic many times, but it didn't go in.
7. To take part in a cooperative venture: I went in with my friends to buy a present for our new neighbors. He'll go in with them on the plan. Who wants to go in on a pizza with me?