go about(redirected from went about)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to went about: went off
1. To travel around a particular place or area. On Halloween, the kids go about the whole neighborhood trick-or-treating.
2. To begin or undertake on some task. Sir, how should I go about formatting this report?
3. To spread among a number of people, as of news, rumors, etc. When news of this tax scandal goes about, your career in politics will be finished!
4. To spread among a number of people, as of an illness. A nasty cold has been going about—I hope I don't get it.
5. To wear a particular outfit or item in public. You'll definitely notice my mom—she always goes about in a bright red coat.
go about something
to approach the doing of something in a particular way. How should I go about researching this topic? Would you tell me how to go about it?
go aboutand go around
1. [for a rumor] to go from person to person. What is this story about you that I hear going about? There was a nasty rumor about Gerald going around.
2. [for a disease] to spread. There is a lot of this flu going about these days. There is a bad cough going around.
3. Go to go around someone or something.
1. Also, go around. Move here and there, to and fro; also, circulate. For example, She's been going about telling everyone the news, or A report went around that the dollar was dropping. [c. 1300]
2. Set about, undertake, as in I'm not sure how to go about making a pie. [Late 1600s]
3. go about one's business. Proceed with one's own proper occupation or concern. For example, Don't bother with that-just go about your business. [Late 1600s]
1. To go from place to place in some area, doing something openly and habitually: All summer, the bees go about the garden collecting pollen.
2. To execute some routine: From my office on the top floor, I could observe all the city's workers going about their business.
3. To walk around or appear in public, especially in a particular state of dress: I don't know why you always go about in that silly hat.
4. To undertake something in a particular way: How does one go about finding an apartment? Your application could take weeks if you don't go about it in the right way.