weird(redirected from weirds)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal.
keep (some kind of) hours
1. Used to describe one's pattern or schedule of being awake and asleep. Because of the huge time difference, Sam has kept really strange hours since coming back from Japan. It's important the kids start keeping regular hours when they are young, as having unpredictable bedtimes and lengths of sleep can seriously impact on their development.
2. Used to describe one's business hours. The local doctor has always kept rather irregular hours. Sometimes it just comes down to luck whether he'll be there at all on any given day.
weird and wonderful
1. adjective Having an unusual or strange appearance or design, but ingenious, attractive, or desirable nonetheless. The festival celebrates the weird and wonderful car designs not seen by many in the mainstream market.
2. noun That which has such a strange likability. I love this shop—they seem to specialize in the weird and wonderful.
Sl. to become emotionally disturbed or unnerved; to flip out. The day was just gross. I thought I would weird out at noon. I weirded out at the news of Frankie's death.
Sl. disturbed or unnerved by drugs or events. I was totally weirded out and couldn't control myself. After the blowup, Fred was really weirded out.
weird and wonderfulclever and attractive, but unusual or strange: People were wearing all sorts of weird and wonderful clothes.
1. To cause someone to experience an odd, unusual, and sometimes uneasy sensation: I thought we were friends, so that argument really weirded me out. I weirded out that gas station attendant when I asked for the nearest gun store.
2. To experience an odd, unusual, and sometimes uneasy sensation: I weirded out when I noticed their resemblance to each other.
in. to become emotionally disturbed or unnerved; to flip (out). (see also weirded out.) The day was just gross. I thought I would weird out at noon.
mod. disturbed or unnerved by drugs or events. I was totally weirded out and couldn’t control myself.