watch out for (someone or something)(redirected from watch out for someone)
watch out for (someone or something)
1. Be careful, aware, or watchful of someone or something that may cause one harm or distress. It's a beautiful region, but you have to watch out for some dangerous wildlife. Watch out for Mr. Henderson—I heard his class is brutal.
2. To be vigilant for the arrival of someone or something. Would you mind watching out for the mailman? I'm expecting a package today.
3. To take responsibility for or ensure the welfare of someone or something. My parents told me to watch out for my little brother as he starts his first year in high school.
watch out for someone or somethingand look out for someone or something
1. to be on guard for someone or something; to be on watch for the arrival or approach of someone or something. Watch out for someone wearing a white carnation. Look out for John and his friends. They'll be coming this way very soon.
2. and look out; watch out Fig. to try to avoid a confrontation with someone or something. Watch out! That car nearly hit you! Look out for John. He's looking for you, and he's really mad. Thanks. I'd better look out.
watch out for someoneand look out for someone
Fig. to watch over and care for someone. When I was a kid, my older brother always watched out for me. I really needed someone to look out for me then.