Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
A situation or exchange that is considered equal or equitable, as regarding debt, status, ability, a contest, etc. I'll pay the Internet bill if you'll pay the electricity bill, and then we'll just call it a wash. We both won a significant number of matches against each other, so we just called it a wash in the end.
See also: wash
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. in. to be believed. (As if untruth were a stain that will not come out in the wash.) That’ll never wash! It’s totally unbelievable.
2. n. a drink that follows a previous drink; a chaser. Can I have a wash with this, bartender?
3. n. the almost simultaneous sale and purchase of the same stock, usually to make the stock appear to be trading actively. (Securities markets. The practice is illegal. Tax loss selling must be done in such a way to avoid appearing to be a wash.) I sold the stock and couldn’t buy it back for thirty days to avoid an illegal wash.
4. n. a whitewash or covering up (of a problem). What the administration presented was not an explanation but a wash.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- (all) washed up
- (one) does not wash (one's) dirty linen in public
- (well,) wash my mouth out with soap
- a wash
- air dirty linen in public
- be child's play
- be duck soup
- call it a wash
- clean up
- come out in the wash
- come out in the wash, it will
- Do not wash your dirty linen in public
- don't wash your dirty linen in public
- I have to wash a few things out
- Is there some place I can wash up?
- it all comes out in the wash
- it will all come out in the wash
- it will come out in the wash
- It won't wash!
- it'll all come out in the wash
- let's call it a wash
- lost in the wash
- no dice
- not wash
- one hand washes the other
- one hand washes the other (and both wash the face)
- rinse mouth out
- something won't wash
- something won't/doesn't wash
- wash (one's) dirty laundry in public
- wash (one's) dirty linen in public
- wash (one's) hands
- wash (one's) hands of (someone or something)
- wash (one's) mouth out (with soap)
- wash (someone or something) out of (something or some place)
- wash (something) of (something else)
- wash (something) off (of) (someone or something)
- wash a brick
- wash a few things out
- wash away
- wash down
- wash hands of
- wash its face
- wash of
- wash off
- wash off the egg on (one's) face
- wash one's dirty linen in public
- wash one's dirty linen in public, to
- wash one's hands of
- wash one's hands of (something), to
- wash out
- wash out of
- wash over
- wash over (someone or something)
- wash overboard
- wash someone away
- wash the egg off (of) (one's) face
- wash up
- wash with (one)
- wash your dirty linen in public
- wash your hands
- wash your hands of
- wash your hands of somebody/something
- wash your hands of something/someone
- wash your mouth out
- washed out
- washed up
- Well, wash my mouth out with soap
- where (one) can wash up
- Where can I can wash up?
- Where can I wash up?
- won't wash