Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.
Related to wanna: wannabe
(Do you) want to bet?
I'm so confident that I am right (or that you are wrong) that I'm willing to bet on it. A: "There's no way you can prove that." B: "Want to bet?"
(You) wanna make something of it?
A threat to fight or argue about something, usually something that should be minor or easy to overlook. ("Wanna" is a colloquial contraction of "want to." "Something" is often shortened to "somethin'," or, more colloquially, "sumpin'.") A: "Yeah? You wanna make something of it?" B: "No, I'm sorry, I simply wasn't thinking when I said that about your marriage. That's all." A: "I heard yer daddy got fired fer drinkin' on the job again." B: "That's right. Wanna make sumpin' of it? Cuz I'd be more'n happy to wipe that smug grin off yer face!"
(You) wanna piece of me?
Do you want to get into a fistfight with me? Do you want to try to take me on in a fight? ("Wanna" is a colloquial contraction of "want a." "Piece of" is often spelled or spoken colloquially as "piece a.") What are you looking at, punk? Wanna piece of me? A: "Ah, you're not so tough." B: "Oh, is that right? You wanna piece of me, then?"
(You) wanna step outside?
Do you want to get into a fight with me? Will we go outside to settle this with a fistfight? ("Wanna" is a colloquial contraction of "want to.") What are you looking at, punk? Wanna step outside? A: "You're a stupid jerk, and your mother sucks eggs!" B: "Oh, is that right? You wanna step outside, you little weasel?"
if you wanna play, you gotta pay
1. You must pay some sort of fee or wager in order to participate in something. Hey, whoa, if you wanna play, you gotta pay—it's a $20 entry fee for this game. Come on, Tom, ante up. If you wanna play, you gotta pay around here.
2. By extension, if you want to participate in some activity, then you must be prepared to face the inevitable negative consequences associated with it. In the criminal world, everyone knows that doing time in prison is just a natural part of the gig. If you wanna play, you gotta pay. You're a bit hurt? Well if you wanna play, you gotta pay! I don't want a sissy on our team who can't handle getting injured.
1. noun, informal A person who aspires to be or emulate a particular person or role, especially in a vain, superficial, or inferior manner. I love writing, but for some reason I have always felt like a wannabe. The success of the hip-hop star has spawned a huge number of wannabes among fans and other artists alike.
2. noun, informal A product that has been designed to reproduce or imitate the successful qualities or characteristics of something else. There are dozens of wannabes on the market for half the price, but you get what you pay for. You know, for an iPhone wannabe, this is actually a pretty decent little device.
3. adjective, informal Of or indicating such vain, superficial, or inferior emulation. She's just a wannabe actress, still deluding herself that she has what it takes to be a star. The new sci-fi film is little more than a wannabe Star Wars.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
(Do you) want to make something of it?and You want to make something of it?
Do you want to start a fight about it? (Rude and contentious.) Tom: You're really bugging me. It's not fair to pick on me all the time. Bill: You want to make something of it? Bob: Please be quiet. You're making too much noise. Fred: Do you want to make something of it?
Want to make something of it?and Wanna make sumpin' of it?
Inf. Do you want to fight about it? (See also ) So, I'm a little ugly. Wanna make sumpin' of it? I'm sitting in your usual chair, you say? Want to make something of it?
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
wanna(ˈwɑnə and ˈwənə)
phr. want to. (Eye-dialect. Typical spoken English. Used in writing only for effect. Used in the examples of this dictionary.) I will if I wanna.
wannabeand wanna be (ˈwɑnə bi)
n. someone who wants to be something or someone. (Associated with Madonna, the singer.) All these teenyboppers are wannabes, and that’s why we can sell this stuff to them at any price.
See also: wanna
Want to make something of it?and Wanna make sumpin’ of it?
interrog. Do you want to fight about it? So, I’m a little ugly. Wanna make sumpin’ of it?
Wanna make sumpin’ of it?verb
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.