walk away(redirected from walked away)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. To leave, depart, or move to be less close to someone or something by walking. He started walking away before I was finished talking. She slammed the car door and walked away in a huff.
2. To make a point of no longer engaging, dealing, or interacting with someone or something. Just walk away, Bill. He's only trying to rile you up into a fight. I had to walk away from the project for a few hours to help clear my head.
3. To abandon someone or something; to leave some person or thing without meeting or incurring any obligations. Luckily, we were able to walk away before the deal had been signed. You can't just walk away from your family like that, Steven—you have responsibilities!
4. To escape from some predicament or danger without incurring any injury, penalty, or punishment. Due to an error in the filing of evidence by police, the suspect ended up walking away scot-free. How on earth did he walk away from a train crash of that scale with just a few scrapes and bruises?
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. To leave by or as if by walking: When she saw me, she quickly walked away.
2. To emerge from a dangerous situation without serious injury or penalty: You were lucky to walk away from such a bad car accident. The students could have been expelled for such an offense, but somehow they walked away with only a warning.
3. To leave freely and without obligation: The two sides walked away from the deal when they failed to reach a compromise. With no evidence to hold them on, the officers let the suspects walk away.
4. walk away with To win some prize or award easily or unexpectedly: The film walked away with ten awards.
5. walk away with To steal something: The robbers walked away with $1 million in jewels.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.