you have to (learn to) walk before you (can) run(redirected from walk before you run)
you have to (learn to) walk before you (can) run
One must understand or become adept at the basic skills, techniques, or details of something before moving on to that which requires greater skill or experience. I see it all the time: people who want to become hotshot doctors but don't want to put in all the hard work the field demands. You have to learn to walk before you run. While the results of the drug trial are encouraging, there are still a huge number of tests we have to run—you've got to walk before you can run
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
walk before you can rungrasp the basic skills before attempting something more difficult.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- walk before you can run
- we have to (learn to) walk before we (can) run
- we must (learn to) walk before we (can) run
- you must (learn to) walk before you (can) run
- you've got to (learn to) walk before you (can) run
- lose a step
- not (really) (one's) scene
- not your scene
- able to do (something) standing on (one's) head