wad(redirected from wadded)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
blow (one's) wad
1. To lose or spend all of one's money. My Las Vegas trip was short lived—I blew my wad at the poker table in the first two hours! Here's $20 for the weekend, don't blow your whole wad tonight.
2. vulgar slang Of a man, to ejaculate semen during an orgasm.
3. To lose control of one's composure, temper, patience, or nerve in a given situation. A reference to premature ejaculation, it is usually used in the negative. Don't blow your wad, we'll get there soon. The game is in 30 minutes. I know you're nervous, but stay sharp, don't blow your wad now.
shoot (one's) wad
1. slang To lose or spend all of one's money. My Las Vegas trip was short lived—I shot my wad at the poker table in the first two hours! Here's $20 for the weekend, don't shoot your whole wad tonight.
2. vulgar slang Of a male, to ejaculate semen during an orgasm.
To crumple something into a small lump or ball (i.e., a "wad"). A noun can be used between "wad" and "up." My heart sank when I saw him wad the note up and toss it on the ground. Don't just wad up your papers and stuff them in your bag—put them in a folder or something, for crying out loud!
rude slang A male who is stupid, foolish, or inept. Of course Stan blew the big game—what a dickwad.
One who is stupid or irritating, Geez, he keeps pulling on a door that's clearly marked "push"—what a dipwad.
shoot one's wad
Sl. to spend all or nearly all one's cash on hand. I shot my wad on junk food. I can't afford a cab. I shot my wad at the restaurant.
shoot one's bolt
Also, shoot one's wad. Do all within one's power; exhaust one's resources or capabilities. For example, They were asking for more ideas but Bob had shot his bolt and couldn't come up with any , or Don't shoot your wad with that article or you won't have any material for the sequels. The first expression comes from archery and referred to using up all of one's bolts (short, heavy arrows fired with a crossbow); it was a proverb by the 1200s. The colloquial variant, dating from about 1900, comes from gambling and refers to spending all of a wad of rolled-up banknotes. Also see shoot the works.
shoot your wad
If someone shoots their wad, they use all their effort or money for something, so that they have no energy or money left. He gave the impression of a man who shot his wad too early, and was left with only a reputation and some memories. The team seems to have shot its wad earlier in the season.
To crumple or compress something into a wad: I wadded up the piece of paper and threw it in the trash. The janitor wadded the tissues up and threw them away.
n. a stupid and ineffective male. (Possibly a reference to semen, see wad (sense 2).) What a dickwad! Beat it!
n. a jerk; a nerd. (Euphemistic for dipshit.) If you weren’t a big dipwad, you would give me a hand with this.
shoot one’s wad
tv. to spend or use everything. I can’t afford a cab. I shot my wad at the restaurant.
n. a stingy person; a miser. (see also wad.) There’s no need to be such a tight wad.
1. (wɑd) n. a bundle of money; a bankroll. (see also tight wad.) I lost my wad on a rotten horse in the seventh race.
2. n. a gob of semen. He called the wad a cumquat and thought he’d made a joke.
shoot (one's) wad
a. To spend all of one's cash.
b. To use up all of one's energy or resources.
2. Vulgar Slang To ejaculate.