vouch for (someone or something)(redirected from vouch for me)
vouch for (someone or something)
1. To state one's personal confidence in someone or something as reliable, effective, etc.; to personally guarantee someone or something. I can't believe you fell asleep on the job even after I vouched for you! I drove one of these for 20 years, so I can definitely vouch for its dependability.
2. To act as evidence supporting something. Your long list of published works certainly vouches for your expertise in the field.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
vouch for someone or something
to support or back someone or something; to endorse someone or something. I can vouch for Tom. Irene will vouch for my honesty.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To give personal assurances of something or someone; give a guarantee of something or someone: I can't vouch for that company's reliability because I've never dealt with them.
2. To constitute supporting evidence for something; give substantiation for something: The candidate's strong record vouches for her ability.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- be replaced by (someone or something)
- be replaced with (someone or something)
- be partial to (someone or something)
- be/have done with somebody/something
- be in line with (someone or something)
- better of
- (someone or something) promises well
- begin with
- begin with (someone or something)
- at the expense of somebody/something