Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
1. In good health. I'm very well, thanks. How are you?
2. Most likely; probably. The contractor thinks this water leak very well caused the ceiling to collapse.
3. Definitely or clearly. You know very well what I'm talking about—don't play dumb!
4. Skillfully. I can tell you've been practicing—you played that song very well.
5. All right. In this usage, the phrase usually signifies one's reluctant agreement. Very well—I'll come home by 8, if that will make you happy.
1. Exceedingly healthy, as in How are you?-Very well, thank you.
2. Extremely skillfully or properly, as in He manages that sailboat very well.
3. All right, I agree to, as in Will you take her hand?-Very well, but only to cross the street. Also see all very well.