Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
Related to veggie: Veggie burger
1. informal A shortening of "vegetable." I try to pack as many veggies into this sauce as possible, as it's just about the only way my kids will eat them. I think I'll have a salad for lunch. I feel like I haven't eaten a veggie in days!
2. offensive slang A person who is in a state of only partial conscious arousal, rather than being truly aware of and able to interact with their surroundings. Also a shortening of "vegetable," a reference to the medical term "persistent vegetative state" used to describe such a condition. The accident left him as a total veggie. The only thing he can do anymore is answer "yes" or "no" by blinking. They said she could be a veggie forever, but she thankfully began to regain speech and motor skills after a few months.
3. slang An informal shortening of "vegetarian." Bill's wife is a veggie, so we'll have to figure out something different to serve at the dinner party. I tried being a veggie for a few months in college, but my love of bacon was too strong.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
veggyand veggie (ˈvɛdʒi)
1. n. a vegetarian. We have a lovely salad bar for the veggies among you.
2. n. a vegetable; a chunk or piece of vegetable. (Usually plural.) Do you want any veggies with this?
3. n. a comatose patient in a hospital. (Medical.) Mary’s aunt has been a veggie in the hospital for more than a year.
4. n. someone who is tired or exhausted. I want to be a veggy this weekend. I’ll just stay at home and relax.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.