Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. slang Plain, uninteresting, unexciting, or unadventurous. A reference to vanilla being considered a plain or ordinary flavor. I've always thought guided tours were a pretty vanilla way to experience a new city. She just wants something vanilla to read while she's lounging on the beach.
2. slang Of, related to, or engaging in sexual activities that are considered conventional, unadventurous, or not particularly kinky or fetishistic. He's extremely hot, but he's pretty vanilla when it comes to sex. I've just never been into anything other than vanilla stuff in bed.
3. slang Of or related to computer or video game software that has not been modified, customized, or expanded upon with additional content. The vanilla web browser they released didn't even have the ability to open more than one tab at the same time—you had to download an extension for that! The developers promised that people playing the vanilla version of the game will able to compete just as well as those who have the DLC installed.
1. mod. plain; dull. (see also beige.) The entire production was sort of vanilla, but it was okay.
2. n. a Caucasian. Some vanilla’s on the phone—selling something, I guess.
Lacking embellishment or fancy features, unadorned; by extension, plain and simple. This item, dating from the second half of the 1900s, transfers the simplicity of a plain vanilla cake to other concerns, ranging from stock options to computer software, legal contracts, and so on. For example, “She bought the cheapest car she could find, a plain vanilla model.” See also less is more.