Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to under way: get under way
1. In motion; having begun to move or operate. You can't go back to the dock—we're under way! As the great machine got under way, it began generating heat so intense that the engineers had to close the blast doors to its chamber.
2. In progress; having begun. Renovations to the State Capitol are currently under way. Once our plan is under way, there will be no one to oppose us.
Fig. moving; running; started. (*Typically: be ~; get something ~; have something ~.) The time has come to get this game under way. Now that the president has the meeting under way, I can relax.
1. In motion, as in The ship got under way at noon. [c. 1930]
2. Already started, in progress, as in Plans are under way to expand. [c. 1930]
1. In motion or operation.
2. In ongoing development; in progress.