Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to under way: get under way
1. In motion; having begun to move or operate. You can't go back to the dock—we're under way! As the great machine got under way, it began generating heat so intense that the engineers had to close the blast doors to its chamber.
2. In progress; having begun. Renovations to the State Capitol are currently under way. Once our plan is under way, there will be no one to oppose us.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
Fig. moving; running; started. (*Typically: be ~; get something ~; have something ~.) The time has come to get this game under way. Now that the president has the meeting under way, I can relax.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. In motion, as in The ship got under way at noon. [c. 1930]
2. Already started, in progress, as in Plans are under way to expand. [c. 1930]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. In motion or operation.
2. In ongoing development; in progress.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.