twist(redirected from twistability)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
slang A girl or woman. From rhyming slang, in which "twist" is short for "twist and twirl," which rhymes with "girl." Tommy's spending all his time with his new twist. He never comes around to see us anymore.
twist (one's) arm
To pressure or force one into doing something. Oh, she immediately agreed to come tonight—I didn't even have to twist her arm. They had to twist my arm to convince me to start volunteering, but when I finally did, I realized how much I loved it.
twist (someone) around (one's) (little) finger
To gain complete control or dominance over someone; to make someone do whatever one wishes. The spoiled little brat has completely twisted his parents around his little finger. Everyone jealously accused her of twisting the boss around her finger.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
n. a girl; a woman. (Underworld. Possibly rhyming slang twist and twirl = girl and frail frame = dame. Detective novels and movies.) This good-looking twist comes over to the table and asks Lefty if he’d like to dance. I’ll shoot the frail if you don’t hand it over!
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
twist/wrap around (one's) little finger
To dominate utterly and effortlessly.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- be bitter and twisted
- be left to twist in the wind
- be left twisting in the wind
- drive (one) round the twist
- get (one's) knickers in a twist
- get (one's) panties in a twist
- get your knickers in a twist
- get/have your knickers in a twist
- have (one's) knickers in a twist
- have (someone) twisted around (one's) (little) finger
- have (someone) twisted round (one's) (little) finger
- leave (one) to twist in the wind
- leave to twist
- round the bend/twist
- round the twist
- send (one) round the twist
- stick or twist
- turn/twist the knife
- twist (one's) arm
- twist (one's) words
- twist (someone) around (one's) (little) finger
- twist (something) off of (something)
- twist arm
- twist around
- twist around little finger
- twist around one's finger
- twist in the wind
- twist in the wind, be left to
- twist into
- twist into (something)
- twist of fate
- twist off
- twist out of
- twist out of (something)
- twist slowly in the wind
- twist somebody's arm
- twist someone around your little finger
- twist someone's arm
- twist the knife
- twist the lion's tail
- twist up
- twist words
- twist/wind around one's little finger, to
- twist/wind/wrap somebody around/round your little finger
- wind (someone) around (one's) (little) finger
- wrap (someone) around (one's) (little) finger