turn into(redirected from turned us into)
1. To take a turn leading into some place or thing. We turned into a dark alleyway to avoid the police. I don't like the sounds coming from the engine. Turn into that service station so we can see if anything is wrong.
2. To cause someone or something to take a turn leading into some place or thing. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "turn" and "into." I managed to turn the car into an empty field so as not to cause a major accident on the highway.
3. To change or transform into some other form. This sofa turns into a bed, so there is a place for you to sleep tonight if you need to stay over. The caterpillar turns into a butterfly after it comes out of its cocoon.
4. To change in nature, character, or behavior. You've turned into a real jerk since you became rich!
5. To change or transform someone or something into some other state or form. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "turn" and "into." They've turned this abandoned warehouse into a wonderful art gallery. The witch in the story turns the princess into a hideous beast.
6. To change someone's nature, character, or behavior. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "turn" and "into." The allure of total power can turn even the most altruistic leader into a tyrant. Years of poverty and mistreatment has turned him into quite the bitter, cynical person.
turn someone or something into someone or something
to change someone or something into someone or something else. The magician tried to turn Ginny into a robin. She turned the parrot into a dove.
turn into someone or something
to change into someone or something. After work is over, he turns into a fairly nice person. The room turned into a very pleasant place when the lights were dimmed.
1. To direct one's way or course into something: The truck turned into the gas station.
2. To cause someone or something to take on some character, nature, identity, or appearance; change or transform someone or something into someone or something: The designer turned a rundown house into a show place. We turned the spare room into a nursery.
3. To change into something or someone; become transformed into something or someone: The night turned into day. In the story, straw turns into gold.
4. To convert something into something: The singers turned their talent into extra money.
5. To pour, let fall, or otherwise release something into some receptacle: The chef turned the soup into the dish.