Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
(something) turns (one) on
slang Something increases one's sexual interest or excitement. I know it's clichéd, but expensive cars and nice suits really turn me on. A sense of humor turns me on more than anything, honestly.
1. verb To enable, connect, or start the function of something. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "turn" and "on." Would you turn on the water heater for me, please? I need to turn on the lights to see properly.
2. verb To start, become active, or begin functioning, as of a machine or device. A: "My computer isn't turning on for some reason." B: "Are you sure it's plugged in?" The lights in the house are scheduled to turn on at dusk while we're away.
3. verb To suddenly attack, berate, or show hostility toward someone, especially after previously having been loyal or amiable. I know he seems friendly, but he'll turn on you in an instant if you disagree with him. The dog turned on its owner, biting him in the leg.
4. verb To shift or direct the focus of something onto someone or something. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "turn" and "on." Then the reporter turned the camera on me and started asking me about my involvement. Can you turn the lights on lead actor, please?
5. verb To depend on or center around someone or something. Our entire plan turns on them accepting this offer. The plot of the books turns on two brothers during the civil war.
6. verb, slang To increase someone's sexual interest or excitement. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "turn" and "on." I know it's clichéd, but expensive cars and nice suits really turn me on. A: "All I need to do to turn on the ladies is just flex my guns." B: "I think I just threw up a little."
7. noun, slang Something that increases someone's sexual interest or excitement. As a noun, the phrase is usually hyphenated. It's a big turn-on when a guy is a good listener.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. mod. made alert to what is new and exciting. I want to hire someone who’s really turned on—a real comer. A young, turned on MBA would be just right.
2. mod. drug intoxicated. (Drugs.) Jerry’s turned on by noon—every day. The kid over there looks sort of turned on. Let’s go talk to him a bit.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.