turn it up
Also found in: Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. To increase some aspect of something, such as its volume or speed. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "turn" and "up." Can you turn up the volume on the TV? I can't hear anything the reporter is saying.
2. To fold or crease something upward. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "turn" and "up." I turned up the cuffs of my shirt before washing the dishes.
3. To appear unexpectedly or randomly. That missing file turned up on my desk while I was in a meeting, so I don't know who found it.
4. To occur randomly, unexpectedly, or without warning. Don't worry, problems like this sometimes turn up with new heaters.
5. To arrive at or attend something. I don't expect a lot of people to turn up at this event because it's on a Tuesday night.
6. To reposition something so that the side or part that was previously on the bottom is now on top. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "turn" and "up." Turn up your cards so we can see which ones you had. I turned the page up so we could read what was written on the back.
7. slang To act in an uninhibited, wild manner, often due to intoxication. We're gonna turn up at this party tonight!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
turn it upstop doing or saying something annoying. informal
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017