Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. verb To try, use, or consider something in order to make a decision or form an opinion about it. A noun or pronoun can be used between "try" and "out." The whole point of test driving a car is to try it out and see if you feel comfortable in it. Too hungry for a regular burger? Then try out our new "Ultra Burger," with eight beef patties!
2. verb To perform before an evaluator in order to be selected for a particular role or position, such as on an athletic team. I'm planning to try out for the basketball team, so I'm going to try to practice every day this summer.
3. noun A process in which one performs before an evaluator in order to be selected for a particular role or position, such as on an athletic team. As a noun, the phrase is usually hyphenated or spelled as one word, and is sometimes pluralized ("tryouts"). The band's drummer just quit, so they're having an open tryout to select a replacement. Hey, I didn't see you at tryouts today. You didn't get cut, did you?
try someone or something out
to test someone or something for a while; to sample the performance of someone or something. We will try her out in the editorial department and see how she does. We will try out this employee in another department for a while.
try out (for something)
to audition for a part in some performance or other activity requiring skill. I intend to try out for the play. I'm going to try out, too.
1. Undergo a qualifying test, as for an athletic team. For example, I'm trying out for the basketball team. [Mid-1900s]
2. Test or use experimentally, as in They're trying out new diesels, or We're trying out this new margarine. [Late 1800s]
1. To undergo a competitive qualifying test, as for a job or athletic team: Thirty students tried out for the soccer team, but only twenty were chosen.
2. To test or use something experimentally: Have you tried out the new automated banking system yet? I tried a new brand of toothpaste out, and I really like it.