Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
slang That which is utterly worthless, nonsensical, or false. A: "They're saying now that orange juice might actually cause cancer." B: "Oh, what tripe! Don't pay that any mind." The plot of the film is a load of tripe, but the effects and acting were both top notch.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. nonsense. That’s just tripe. Pay no attention.
2. n. a bad performance; something worthless. I know tripe when I see tripe, and that was tripe.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- (as) worthless as tits on a boar (hog)
- as useful as tits on a boar hog
- as useful as tits on a bull
- as useful as tits on a nun
- ask a silly question and you get a silly answer
- ask a silly question and you'll get a silly answer
- ask a silly/stupid question (and you'll get a silly/stupid answer)
- ask a stupid question and you get a stupid answer
- ask a stupid question and you'll get a stupid answer