trim down(redirected from trimmed us down)
1. To become lighter or thinner by losing weight. I'm trying to trim down before my wedding this summer.
2. To cause someone or something to lose weight or become less bulky. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "trim" and "down." We need to trim down our luggage or we'll get charged a fortune at the airport! I just want to trim my belly fat down a little bit. He really could have used a good editor to trim the book down a tad.
3. To remove or discard small amounts of something, especially that which is excessive or unwanted. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "trim" and "down." The company is selling a more modest version of the phone, trimming down the specs as well as the cost. We'll need to trim the number of guests down if we want to stay under budget.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
trim (oneself) down
to take action to become slimmer or lose weight. I need to trim myself down before I go on vacation. I decided to trim down, but I never got around to it. You really need to trim down and stay at a lower weight.
trim something down
to reduce the size of something. You will have to trim the picture down to get it into the frame. Trim down the picture before you frame it.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To reduce something by or as if by cutting away the excess: The company is trimming down its budget this year. The editor trimmed the long manuscript down to 200 pages.
2. To lose weight, as by dieting or exercise: The doctor advised me to trim down.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.