Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to tree: three
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
slang To cause or force one or an animal to climb up into a tree in order to avoid danger. A big grizzly bear treed us while we were out on our hike. We were stuck up there for nearly an hour waiting for it to go away! The dogs treed the jaguar, and it remained perched up there until animal control arrived.
See also: tree
up a tree
1. In a troublesome or challenging situation. I have no idea how I'm going to get out of this contract—I'm really up a tree now.
2. Drunk. Do you remember last night at the bar at all? You were really up a tree!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
n. marijuana. Grass, tree, bush. It’s all pot!
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- a tree is known by its fruit(, a man by his deeds)
- and a partridge in a pear tree
- as the twig is bent, so is the tree inclined
- at the top of the tree
- bark up the wrong tree
- bark up the wrong tree, to
- be barking up the wrong tree
- be out of (one's) tree
- be out of your tree
- cannot see the wood for the trees
- can't see the forest for the trees
- can't see the forest/wood(s) for the trees
- can't see the wood for the trees
- Christmas tree
- Christmas tree bill
- close as the bark to the tree
- dead-tree edition
- dead-tree format
- dead-tree press
- every/a monkey knows what tree to climb
- fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down
- flourish like a green bay tree
- fruit of the poisonous tree
- go between the bark and the tree
- Go chase yourself!
- go climb a tree
- Go climb a tree!
- go climb a tree/fly a kite
- go fly a kite
- grow on trees
- he that would eat the fruit must climb the tree
- like nailing Jell-O to a tree
- like trying to nail Jell-O to a tree
- live in a tree
- make like a tree and leave
- Money does not grow on trees
- money doesn't grow on trees
- nail Jell-O to a tree
- nail Jell-O to the wall
- not able to see the forest for the trees
- not able to see the wood for the trees
- not grow on trees
- not see the wood for the trees
- out of (one's) tree
- out of your tree
- shade tree
- shadetree mechanic
- shake (one's) tree
- shake someone's tree
- shake the pagoda tree
- shake tree
- talk someone's arm off
- the apple does not fall far from the tree
- the apple doesn't fall/never falls far from the tree
- the apple never falls far from the tree
- the top of the tree
- the top of the tree/ladder
- tight as the bark on a tree
- tree (one)
- tree hugger
- tree is known by its fruit
- tree suit
- up a gum tree
- up a tree