Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
Related to travel by: Travel insurance
travel by (something)
1. To move or journey using some particular type of transportation. I chose to travel by sea because it was so much cheaper than flying, but it was not worth it considering how long and unpleasant the journey was. The whole area is under four feet of snow, so we'll have to travel by dogsled.
2. To move or journey during either night- or daytime. We were traveling by night in order to avoid detection. I recommend traveling by day so you can appreciate the beauty of the whole area.
3. To move or journey while making use of a particular source of light. We traveled by lamplight through the spooky forest. Our flashlight was broken, so we had to travel by moonlight.
travel by something
1. to make a journey, using a particular conveyance. I will go by train, since I don't like to travel by plane. We traveled by car, since that is the cheapest.
2. to make a journey under particular conditions. I don't ever travel by night. We like to travel by day so we can see the scenery.