Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
cash is trash
A catchphrase for financial advice that recommends investing one's money instead of saving it (typically because the stock market is doing well). Cash is trash right now—you should definitely invest while the market is booming.
slang Someone who is fully aware of their extreme interest or excessive investment in fandoms. Despite the negative connotations of "trash," this term is typically a proud or self-deprecating identifier, in the manner of a reclaimed term. In case you forgot that I'm fandom trash, here, have some of my "Supernatural" slashfiction!
oil field trash
slang A typically blue-collar worker who is employed in the extraction or production of petroleum. (Can be considered pejorative, depending on the context and the intention of the speaker or author.) Sometimes simplified to "oil trash." The oil rigs are the only big employers around these parts, so 9 out of 10 people you meet are oil field trash like me. The businessmen who control the oil companies in this country don't give a rat's behind about us oil field trash who make the whole thing work.
slang A typically blue-collar worker who is employed in the extraction or production of petroleum. (Can be considered pejorative, depending on the context and the intention of the speaker or author.) The oil rigs are the only big employers around these parts, so 9 out of 10 people you meet are oil trash like me. The businessmen who control the oil companies in this country don't give a rat's behind about us oil trash who make the whole thing work.
one man's trash is another man's treasure
What one person may consider worthless could be highly prized or valued by someone else. A: "I really don't understand the appeal of Jackson Pollock paintings—they just look like paint splatters to me!" B: "Eh, one man's trash is another man's treasure."
take out the trash
To carry garbage from one's house to a trash can or other receptacle outside. Can you please take out the trash? It's beginning to stink up the house.
trailer (park) trash
derogatory slur A poor, uneducated, and unsophisticated person who lives in or was raised in a trailer park. Just because I come from a caravan park doesn't make me trailer trash. I'm working on my PhD at Harvard, for goodness' sake! I don't want my daughter going out with trailer park trash like him!
1. slang To discard or throw away something. I've always regretted trashing my old collection of toys. A: "Do you still want these old newspapers?" B: "Nah, you can trash them."
2. slang To utterly or thoroughly dirty, damage, or destroy something or some place. Rioters trashed the homes and businesses in the area. Those people you brought to the party totally trashed our house.
3. slang To criticize, disparage, or lambaste someone or something very severely. Critics have so far trashed the movie, calling it vulgar and offensive. She has taken to trashing her opponents in speeches and interviews.
4. verb, slang To defeat an opponent decisively. The final score was 17-1? Wow, we really trashed that team!
5. noun, slang Someone who is regarded as worthless and insignificant. I grew up poor, so the rich people of this town definitely saw me as trash.
6. noun, slang Someone who is despicable, especially due to vile behavior. My ex is trash. What he did is completely unredeemable.
7. noun, slang Someone who is fully aware of their extreme interest and investment in fandoms and/or their tendency to become extremely interested and invested in fandoms. Despite the negative connotations of "trash," this usage is typically a proud or self-deprecating identifier, in the manner of a reclaimed term. Oh, I'd be more than happy to share my many MCU theories with you, like the trash I am. In case you forgot that I'm trash, why not read some of my recent slash fiction?
8. adjective, slang Stupid or inane, especially of something posted online. Despite the negative connotations of "trash," this usage is often positive or affectionate. Here, have some more trash memes I made—just what everyone wants!
1. The use, or tendency to use, obscene, vulgar, or profane language. Sometimes hyphenated. You might think that sort of trash-mouth is acceptable when you're with your friends, but you can stow it while you're under our roof, got it? My dad used to swear a blue streak all the time when I was a kid, so I developed a bit of a trash mouth as a result.
2. A person who uses such obscene, vulgar, or profane language. Sometimes hyphenated. He's actually a very intelligent guy, but he's such a trash mouth that he's hard to take seriously. We can't have a trash-mouth like that running our presentations.
3. The use, or tendency to use, disparaging, insulting, or abusive language. Sometimes hyphenated. The boxer is renowned for having quite a trash-mouth whenever he's face-to-face with his opponents before a match.
4. A person who uses such disparaging, insulting, or abusive language. Sometimes hyphenated. These politicians always turn into such trash mouths during their election campaigns.
1. noun Disparaging, insulting, or abusive speech aimed at a person, group, or thing. I think the trash talk between boxers before these big fights is just the dumbest thing in the world, but I know some people who love it.
2. verb To speak in such a manner (about someone or something). As a verb, the phrase is usually hyphenated. The senator trash-talked her opponent for most of the debate, all but avoiding the actual issues at hand.
highly offensive A disparaging term for a white person, especially one of a lower socioeconomic class. The term is also used collectively.
Cash is trash.
Prov. It is unwise to keep one's investment money in cash. (Said when there are good opportunities in securities and it is foolish not to invest cash.) If you've got money sitting around in savings while the market is steaming ahead, you are losing dollars. Right now cash is trash. Cash is trash. Get into the market or you stand to lose a bundle.
One man's trash is another man's treasure.
Prov. Something that one person considers worthless may be considered valuable by someone else. Q: Why would anyone want to hang a picture like that on the wall? A: One man's trash is another man's treasure. A: Bob's uncle is always going through people's garbage, looking for old stuff. B: One man's trash is another man's treasure.
Cash is trash
sent. It is unwise to keep one’s investment money in cash. (Said when there are good opportunities in securities and it is foolish to stay on the sidelines in cash.) Cash is trash. Get into the market or you stand to lose a bundle.
trailer park trashand TPT
n. trailer park trash. My motor home cost more than your house, and you call me TPT?
n. the poorest of people who live in run-down house trailers in bad neighborhoods. (Used with singular or plural force. Rude and derogatory.) She’s just trailer trash. Probably doesn’t even own shoes.
1. tv. to throw something away. Trash this stuff. Nobody will ever use it.
2. n. a low, worthless person; worthless people. Running around with that trash—no wonder he’s in trouble.
3. tv. to vandalize something. Somebody trashed the statue with spray paint.
4. tv. to beat, as in a ball game. You trashed us this game, but watch out next season!
5. tv. to libel someone. Who is the chick who was trashing Bart in the newspapers?
tv. Throw it away! We don’t have space for this old chair. Trash it!
See also: trash
n. someone who uses obscene language. Some “trash mouth” is making everybody mad over in the park.