Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A younger man who has sexual or romantic interactions with an (often) appreciably older woman, especially in a superficial or non-committal relationship. After her divorce, the actress was seen with several boy toys around town. Helen's boy toy stays over at her manse because she refuses to set foot in his frat house on campus.
boys and their toys
An expression implying that grown men have a greater tendency than women to be preoccupied with or drawn to mechanical objects, such as cars, gadgets, power tools, etc. John spends every Saturday out working on his car. Boys and their toys, am I right?
throw (one's) toys out of the pram
To behave in a petulantly upset or angry manner; to act like an angry child. Primarily heard in UK. Manchester United's star striker threw his toys out of the pram after he was ejected from the match for biting another player.
have toys in the attic
To be crazy; to act, think, or behave in an eccentric, foolish, or nonsensical manner. Tommy must have toys in the attic if he thinks he can convince our mother to let him get a tattoo for his birthday. There's an old lady who stands on the corner yelling at strangers all day. I think she might have toys in the attic.
A young man who is in a sexual relationship with an older woman. Heather is having too much fun with her new toy boy to get involved in a serious relationship.
toy with (someone or something)
1. To consider or think about an idea or plan. I've been toying with the idea of starting my own business.
2. To deliberately attempt to evade, deceive, or misinform someone (about something) in order to manipulate them or achieve some desired outcome. Quit toying with me, Karen—I know that you're involved in this deal! The serial killer is toying with the police, leaving false clues everywhere to muddy the investigation.
3. To tease someone. I'm just toying with you, James—I really do like that jacket.
4. To treat something as a plaything in order to idly amuse oneself. Cats are known for toying with their prey.
like a kid with a new toy
Excessively excited about or fixated on something, typically something new one has acquired. Janet's like a kid with a new toy whenever she upgrades her phone—she's been there fiddling with it all day long. Would you quit messing around with the controls of the car—you're like a kid with a new toy!
like a kid with a new toy
Fig. very pleased; happily playing with something. Every time Bill gets a new gadget for his kitchen, he's like a kid with a new toy. Jane is absorbed in that computer. Just like a kid with a new toy.
toy with someone
to tease someone; to deal lightly with someone's emotions. Ann broke up with Tom because he was just toying with her. He was not serious at all. Don't toy with me! I won't have it!
toy with something
to play with something; to fiddle with something. You are just toying with me! Please don't toy with the stereo controls.
1. Amuse oneself idly with, trifle, as in He teased her, toying with her as a cat toys with a mouse. [Early 1500s]
2. Treat casually or without seriousness, as in I'm toying with the idea of writing a novel. [Early 1800s]
throw your toys out of the pram
If someone throws their toys out of the pram, they express their anger or disappointment in a childish way. They say he may have thrown his toys out of the pram after being made to report to Smith. Note: Words for names of toys are often used instead of toys with the same meaning. I for one, will certainly not be crying into my beer or throwing my rattle out of the pram. I hope that your girlfriend is prepared to stand up to you as you throw your dummy out of the pram.
throw your toys out of the pramhave a temper tantrum. British informal
2005 Hecklerspray Some might suggest that for Oprah to throw her toys out of the pram because a French woman told her she couldn't look at some clothes comes across as…just a little arrogant.
1. To amuse oneself idly by manipulating someone or something; trifle with someone or something: The cat toyed with the ball in its paws.
2. To treat something casually or without seriousness: I had toyed with the idea of going back to college, but I never actually applied.
An attractive younger man who is linked with an older woman, for social activities, sexual favors, or the like. In effect he is the counterpart of a sugar daddy. This slangy term dates from about 1980 and may be used disparagingly or admiringly, depending on the context. A headline in the magazine Maxim ran “Be Her Boy Toy: Younger Guys and Older Women” (June 2004). The term, which is on its way to becoming a cliché, may also be applied to a homosexual relationship, that is, a younger man kept by an older man. It is also put as toy boy.