Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
Related to tower above: tower over
tower above (someone or something)
To be much taller than someone or something else. They're almost comical together because he towers above her so much. The mighty new skyscraper towers above the city.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
tower above someone or something
to stand or be much taller than someone or something. (Often used in exaggeration.) The basketball player towered above everyone else in the room. The new building towered above all the others in town.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
tower aboveor tower over
1. To appear at or rise to a conspicuous height above someone or something: The oak towered above the rest of the trees. The skyscrapers tower over the horizon.
2. To demonstrate great superiority over someone or something: In terms of performance, our record towers above that of any other company in this city. Her report stated that the legacy of Alexander's empire towers over all other nations of the ancient world.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- tower above (someone or something)
- tower over
- tower over (someone or something)
- tower head and shoulders above
- tower head and shoulders above (someone or something)
- tower head and shoulders over (someone or something)
- be in line with (someone or something)
- (someone or something) promises well
- be rough on (someone or something)