toweling(redirected from towelings)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. To dry off with a towel. I barely had time to towel down before I had to get dressed and rush out the door to work.
2. To rub someone or something with a towel in order to make them or it dry. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "towel" and "down." We'd better get going. Will you get the kids out of the pool and towel them down? I finished washing it, but I still need to towel down the car.
1. To dry off with a towel. I didn't even have time to towel off as I ran out of the shower to answer the door. I need to towel off after working up such a sweat.
2. To dry someone or something off with a towel. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "towel" and "off." He toweled the kids off after their bath and got them both dressed for bed. Gym members are reminded to always towel off the equipment after each use.
towel someone or something down
to rub someone or something dry with a towel. The mother toweled her child down and dressed her in clean clothes. She toweled down the child gently. Towel down the dog. He's wet and shaking.
towel someone or something off
to dry someone or something with a towel. The young mother toweled the baby off with a soft, warm towel. She toweled off the baby.
1. To dry oneself with a towel: The swimmer got out of the pool and toweled off.
2. To dry someone or something with a towel: I toweled off my wet feet before putting my socks on. We hosed the car down and toweled it off.