toot(redirected from tooted)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical.
toot (one's) own horn
To boast or brag about one's own abilities, skills, success, achievements, etc. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but this pasta sauce I made is quite delicious! I can't stand being around Marcus ever since his company became such a massive success. The guy just can't stop tooting his own horn!
toot (one's) own trumpet
To boast or brag about one's own abilities, skills, success, achievements, etc. I don't mean to toot my own trumpet, but this pasta sauce I made is quite delicious! I can't stand being around Marcus since his company became such a massive success. The guy just can't stop tooting his own trumpet!
slang Absolutely right. A: "Are you coming to the barbeque today?" B: "You're darn tootin'! I'll see you there."
See also: darn
Immediately; at once; as quickly as possibly. The phrase is based on a coarse or humorous mispronunciation of the French phrase tout de suite, meaning the same. I suggest you pay the bill toot sweet, or the bank will start charging you interest. As soon as we heard the police sirens, we got out of there toot sweet.
1. old-fashioned Particularly vigorous, exciting, exhilarating, or successful. Sometimes written with a comma instead of a hyphen. Come try our ziplining course today if you're looking for a rootin'-tootin' good time! The bake sale was a rootin'-tootin' success. Wow, what a rootin', tootin' party!
2. Characteristic of the stereotypes associated with cowboys or the Western genre of fiction. The historical park is filled with old-timey saloons and rootin'-tootin' cowboys. I love watching those classic rootin'-tootin' westerns from the '50s and '60s.
blow one's own hornand toot one's own horn
Fig. to brag. Gary sure likes to toot his own horn. "I hate to blow my own horn," said Bill, "but I am always right."
darn tootingand darn tootin'
absolutely. You're darn tooting I'll be there. I wouldn't miss it for the world.
blow one’s own hornand toot one’s own horn
tv. to brag. Gary sure likes to toot his own horn. Say something nice. I’m not one to blow my own horn.
toot one’s own hornverb
mod. exciting; renown; famous; illustrious. (A vague adjective of praise.) We really had a rooting-tooting time last weekend.
1. n. a binge; a drinking spree. Harry’s on a toot again.
2. tv. & in. to drink copiously. She could toot booze from dusk to dawn.
3. n. an emotional jag of some kind. She’s on a toot about how nobody loves her anymore.
4. n. a line or dose of cocaine; cocaine. These tootheads get sort of frantic when they can’t get a toot.
5. tv. & in. to snort a portion of cocaine. She tooted a couple of lines and came back.