cook up a storm(redirected from to cook up a storm)
cook up a storm
1. To enthusiastically prepare a large quantity of food, typically during a certain period of time. A: "Mom sure has been cooking up a storm for Thanksgiving, huh?" B: "Yeah, how many side dishes are too many?" You can always tell when Logan is stressed because he starts cooking up a storm. But I am more than happy to taste-test everything he makes!
2. To become or cause to become stormy, as of the weather. Do you hear that howling wind? It's cooking up a storm outside. When I was a kid, I fully believed I could use my magic powers to cook up a storm.
3. To be a nuisance or cause a disturbance by complaining, arguing, etc. (about something). At most big box stores, if you cook up a storm about a product that didn't meet your expectations, you'll almost definitely get a refund. Sir, we have politely asked you to leave—please don't cook up a storm.
4. To upset or unsettle someone. If she's pacing around the house, then you know anxiety is cooking up a storm in her body. My fears are cooking up a storm, and I can't sleep.
5. To be very successful and garner a lot of public attention. The low-budget indie movie is cooking up a storm with audiences worldwide. The video game franchise was canceled after its latest entry failed to cook up a storm.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.