tip off(redirected from tips me off)
1. verb To give one secret, private, or insider information or news, especially that which gives them or someone else an advantage of some kind. A noun or pronoun can be used between "tip" and "off." An anonymous source tipped off reporters that the senator had been using campaign money to fund private trips to the Bahamas. I tipped the cops off about the gang's plan to rob the bank.
2. noun The act of giving one secret, private, or insider information or news, especially that which gives them or someone else an advantage of some kind. As a noun, it is usually hyphenated. Thanks to an anonymous tip-off, police were able to blow the lid off the smuggling ring.
3. noun The start of a basketball game, which is begun with a jump ball ("the tip"). As a noun, the phrase is usually hyphenated. Yeah, I'd love to watch the game. What time is tip-off?
4. noun By extension, the start of some event. As a noun, the phrase is usually hyphenated. The convention runs all weekend. Tip-off is on Friday at 4.
tip someone off (about someone or something)and tip someone off (on someone or something)
to give someone a valuable piece of news about someone or something. I tipped the cops off about Max and where he was going to be that night. I tipped off the mayor about the financial crisis.
Supply with secret or private information; also, warn or alert. For example, The broker often tipped her off about stocks about to go down in price, or Somehow they were tipped off and left the country before the police could catch them. [Colloquial; late 1800s]
1. To provide someone or something with a piece of confidential, advance, or inside information: A betrayed gang member tipped off the police. Someone must have tipped the press off about the company's financial troubles.
2. To begin with a jump ball. Used of a basketball game, tournament, or season: The basketball game tips off at 8:00.
n. a clue; an indication. The tip-off was when the dog started wagging his tail. We knew you were hiding somewhere close.