throw your weight behind someone
throw (one's) weight behind (someone or something)
To wield one's influence or power to support or promote someone or something. The small-town candidate is hoping the senator throws his weight behind him in the race. If we can get a corporation to throw its weight behind our charity campaign, we can raise even more money.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
throw your weight behind someoneuse your influence to help support someone. informal
2000 South African Times U.K. Tony Blair and…Bill Clinton have thrown their weight behind a South African-engineered ‘Marshall Plan’ to rescue the developing world from deepening poverty.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- throw (one's) weight behind (someone or something)
- throw your weight behind something
- put (one's) weight behind (someone or something)
- put/throw your weight behind something
- carry weight with (someone or something)
- hit above (one's) weight
- punch above (one's) weight
- punch above your weight
- punch above/below your weight
- punch above (something)